RSS

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Choices

Life offers a mixed bag of choices. Your destiny depends on what you choose during hundreds, if not a million,  moments in a lifetime. Infact, every second, a choice is offered that determines your next hour, the day, the year or the future. 
A sonnet with 17 lines, stanzas 5+5+5+2, 10 syllables per line and abbab.cddcd.effef.gg rhyme scheme. 



Walking along the shaded avenue
Raintree canopy close-fitting over
Velvet red orange carpet strewn under
I hardly noticed a little path new
Between the bushes to the far yonder.

Every road is made by walking, they say
And so down the road I stealthily walked
What awaits me at the end I wondered
Not once on the walkway wander nor sway
Absorbed abundant turns of twists offered

Chided and coxed by them fairies and gnomes
Each solo into ears whispered and hissed
Choices a hundred to be picked and tried
Not hard nor fast were these destiny games
End special is, I guess, if a fair game played

A road is made for walking, I reckon
On thorns, stones and silky flowers that beckon


© Nalini Hebbar/openmind/2009 - all rights reserved
Take a leap into my PhotoBlog 


Share/Bookmark
,

12 COMMENTS:

Vinita Apte said...

Lovely. A road towards unknown is definitely one filled with mystique and fear.

Neha said...

great one nalini..you are a genius :)

Tulika said...

End special is, I guess, if a fair game played

Absolutely!

Chapters From My Life said...

I think I am not good in making choices.. have always chosen the toughest road but this way life has been adventurous

Hitesh Rawat said...

even i'm not one of those best decision makers.....i depend on others to that...or the one i take ...always put me at places...where i don't want to be..........but i do like that those were my decisions......atleast it was the path i choose

Rajesh said...

Beautiful poem, lot of thoughts.

Deepa Gopal said...

WOnderful Nalini...the unknown is always a l'tl fearful atleast for me:) And making choices is really tough, I am always in a dilemma:(

BROKEN STAR (bck agn) said...

amazin..u created a road to thoughts

VeeKay said...

Your talent in poetry is amazing..Everytime I see a new poem in this blog, I get mesmerized by its excellence..You write poetry with ease..I too write a bit of poetry but I work for hours to get the feel of the poem right..Well Amazing piece of work again..:)

Unknown said...

that is beautiful!I write poetry sometimes...though not all of them see daylight *heh* and sticking to the rhyme and metre?even as a student of literature i haven't been able to achieve that :( :P
Lovely poem!
thanks for the follow :)

Nalini Hebbar said...

Thank you all for reading and commenting.
@Vamsi and Sweta...I started writing poetry very late in life...and I would give all credit to dyslexia for this gift of the written word...and also to my computer for correcting every spelling mistake I make...and believe me there are hundreds on a page!!

Rajendra Raikwar said...

great efforts